You may never understand the wrath of windblast until they try throwing you off the bike. Windblast not only puts you at risk of falling off the bike but also leads to body fatigue. To ensure that never happens, one needs to invest in a quality windshield for a comfortable and less tiring ride. The same applies to Harley bikers, who are generally believed to be passionate riders. We’ve got a very specific list of the best Harley windshield for different models.
Best for Touring – Klock Werks Hill Country
Best for Softail Deluxe – National Cycle
Best for Dyna – Krator Tall Fairing Windshield
Benefits of Using a Windshield on Your Harley
- Wind Protection: A windshield is ideal for dispersing any incoming wind towards the bike.
- Heat and Cold Protection: Protecting the rider from heat and cold by reducing the effects of wind chill.
- Rain Shield: The piece diverts much of the incoming rain over the chest and your head.
- Protection from Debris: A windshield catches all debris and prevents them from getting to your eyes as you ride.
- Reduced Fatigue: When riding with wind blowing around you, your upright posture is affected, thus more fatigue. Using a windshield means you get a comfortable and less tiring ride.
Best Harley Windshield – Top Table (All Models)
Choosing the Best Windshield for Your Harley Davidson
Windshield material plays a huge role when it comes to performance and durability. Some of the common materials include Acrylic and polycarbonate. Acrylic is renowned for durable clarity but can easily scuff. On the other hand, polycarbonate is not only durable but clear.
Size & Fitment
Windshields usually come as short or tall models. One needs to know the ideal windshield for the bike for better fitment. As for the width, it depends on the bike’s design and the user’s taste.
Select the colors that blend well with your bike’s overall appearance. Colors available include grey, charcoal, black, or a merge of the colors.
The windshield offers you room to get creative with its vast styles. Every rider is looking for a windshield that enhances the bike’s appearance.
Choose a model including an adjustable height and angle to give room for full customization.
Before buying a windshield, the bike has enough space for a headlight cut.
Mounting Type & Requirements
Some models come with quick-release functionality, while others are a fork and handle mounting. Windshields with a quick release are easier to detach.
The ideal windshield should not go beyond your nose. Nose height is ideal since you get better visibility. Debris and wind go over your head and not on your face.
Best Brands that Make H-D Windshield
Considering performance, this is a top brand producing premium windshields for many motorcycle brands. The piece looks good after installation and works well during windy conditions. When it comes to compatibility, it fits well on most Harley models.
The brand produces a vast range of windshields and other accessories for various models like Harley. Durability is top-notch and protects the rider from wind and rainwater.
Price Range – Harley Windscreen, Windshield, Air Deflector
Most Harley windshield and other parts price ranges between $20 to around $100. At this piece range, it’s possible to find a quality product. On the other hand, other top-end models start from $100 and go up, depending on the brand and features.
Smoked vs. Black – Which is Better for What Condition?
Both smoked and black models are clear enough to see through. A black windshield screen is ideal for those driving on a sunny day. Black is darker, but you can still see through them though the smoked done is better.
How to Mount – Installing a Windshield on Harley
- To begin with, relax the upper screw found on the inner side. Remove all the three screws on the front of the bike.
- After the screw is loose, hold the bike below the windshield as you pull it back a bit. Take out the windshield.
- It’s now time to get your new windshield.
- Pull out the front part of the bike once again to install the new piece.
- Check to find the grooves on the fairing and the windshield. Make sure the groove aligns well with the windshield and assure you do not scratch any of the parts.
- Carefully twist the screws back into place. Twisting harder may lead to cracking on the windshield.
- Lastly, tighten the top screws on the inner fairing and get ready to ride.
Harley-Davidson Windshield Mounting Hardware
Windshield hardware is not equal. Every one of the models comes with a different instruction. For better mounting, make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions for better results. As a rule of thumb, line up your windshield with the holes where the fasteners will go. After that, attach the brackets.
Maintenance – How to Clean Harley Windshield
Cleaning a windshield is easier. One only needs to soak a clean rag and pass it through the windshield to soften it. Once it gets soft, any debris or dirt comes off faster with a clean rag.
One should neither apply an abrasion nor use more force to clean to avoid scratches.
Use a cotton or fiber towel to wash and dry the windshield.
Adding a Pouch/Bag to Your Harley Windshield
Having a bag or pouch on the windshield is convenient for every rider. You get faster access to water, a handkerchief, or any other crucial item. However, that is optional, and so it will depend on the rider’s needs. Some windshields come with such pouches, while others need you to customize.
Should you look through or over a motorcycle windshield?
For safety measures, you should always look over a windshield and through it. Bugs and rain hitting it usually affect the visibility. Always look over to avoid running into accidents. Short windshields might cause slipstream and send air to the eyes. Therefore, always make sure the windshield is at the nose height.
How high should a windshield be on a motorcycle?
Always remember that a windshield should never get beyond a rider’s nose. Most professionals recommend buying models with adjustable height since the nose height is the ideal one. Lowering or making it higher will make your riding challenging.
How do you reduce wind buffeting on a motorcycle windshield?
- To reduce buffeting while riding
- Adjust the height for the air to blow over the windshield
- Add a spoiler to help in deflecting the wind over the head
- Leave a space for the air to flow beneath the windshield
- Add lowers on both sides of the piece
- Always wear a sleek helmet
With all the above information, we hope you will sort out the ideal windshields with ease. Careful research yields better results. Just choose any of the above models, and you will never go wrong. Safe and wind-free riding!